Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Good green, bad green

I'd be the first to say that I'm all for green design, printing, production and products. I chose an office with wall-to-wall windows for that reason. This century-old building is far from the most efficient, but given my other options, this one requires me to use very little energy above what is needed to power my computer, a small lamp from time to time and this radiator stays off 80% of time in the winter. I try to do my part to conserve what I can.
I have installed compact fluorescent lighting at home, but am afraid it's all about to go out the window. I hate it. I hate fluorescent overhead lighting in EVERY application. Its headache-inducing, horrible light has lost my good graces and I'm going back to incandescent. I'm sorry. I just can't do it. I can't see in my kitchen anymore because the fluorescent lighting is so dim--and my family will be so much happier if the food looks good under proper lighting again. You sure don't see quality restaurants using fluorescent lighting to showcase their food. If I had it in on my office I'd lose my mind in about 30 seconds or less. So, I tried it. The experiment was a failure. I will leave the fluorescent bulbs for other folks and wait for something better to come along, as I'm sure it will eventually. Apologies.
However, on a much better note, I just read about what my community is doing for recycling efforts. I couldn't be more excited about this endeavor. We are already the only city in the county to offer curbside recycling. And, just the other day, I was beginning to wonder if that would continue, given current economic conditions and what I have read about recyclable materials being in very low demand. Not only will recycling continue to be strong here, but we are soon going have curbside collection of organic food waste and paper-based packaging waste, which will be recycled into compost material at a local nursery. Wow! I am so excited about this prospect. One local restaurant/hotel has been doing this for a year now and, because it went so well, the city of Huron has decided to expand the program for residential collection. As far as I can find, we are the first city in the state of Ohio to get a program like this. Let me say kudos to all invovled--great work. Here is an article about the program. The Morning Journal

No comments:

Post a Comment