Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Oh, wonderful words

To honor today's kickoff of the Scripps National Spelling Bee, truly one of my favorite sporting events of the year, I am going to share a bit of a new nerdy love with all of you. Yes, I was a local spelling bee competitor decades ago. Yes, I have a journalism degree from the Scripps School of Journalism at Ohio University. Yes, I may be somewhat cursed with an obsession for words.
I have found something clearly created by someone with a warped mind, such as mine.

I dig using a thesaurus—always have, always will. Thanks to the "Internets" I don't always have to rely upon that paper copy from 1992. There are lots of great resources out there with different databases and words. I have found one that is just so much darn fun to use. If you like words at all, give a try to the Thinkmap Visual Thesaurus. See the photo I have posted here for an example of the word cantankerous. They claim that it "works like your brain." They also offer a fun word of the day email so we can all enrich and expand our vocabularies; I would suggest this at a minimum. It would do us all some good if we knew more words in this crazy English language of ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment