Thursday, January 21, 2010

I brake for Bodoni

Yes, creatives like different things than the rest of you normal folks.  We're a bit off sometimes (okay, so sometimes might be pushing the envelope), and we appreciate (and criticize) things other people don't even see: the leg of a chair, product packaging, creative building signage, color combinations, annoying clip art, glaring errors and typos on billboards and signs, and, yes, fonts.

I love fonts and the art of typography.  Perhaps you didn't even know typography was an art, but it most certainly is.  Someone had to create that great script font that constitutes the Coca-Cola logo or the header of The New York Times.  I have the sick, and often cursed, ability to identify fonts when driving down the road and passing billboards in the distance.  While you're still trying to figure out what those 87 words were on that jam-packed billboard, voices in my head are screaming with each new view: "Arial Narrow, Optima, Tahoma (oh my gosh, it's Tahoma), Franklin Gothic, Helvetica Rounded and Hobo, oh my!"

Once in a while I take in some beautiful typography online and I thought I'd share some of these sites with you, the typo newbie.  There are some spectacular and inspirational designs here for anyone who appreciates how words themselves can be art.
Hoefler & Frere-Jones
Typography Served
I Love Typography blog, which in this posting shares some fabulous iPhone apps for typo fans
And, a fan favorite: What the Font? (where you can upload files to tehnologically figure out what they might be--it doesn't get any cooler than this!)

No comments:

Post a Comment