Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Medal metal

I've decided on a, yes, timely post regarding the 2010 Olympics.  I enjoyed watching the medal ceremony last night for the men's moguls competition because I just love the story of silver-medal winner Dale Begg-Smith.  He was shunned and pushed away for being successful and he just threw up the finger and came back to the Olympics with another country showing that he's an amazing athlete and first-class businessman.  A big tongue out to all those who didn't believe...

From the medal ceremony last night I was reminded of a recent article I read in Metropolis and so I wanted to share it with everyone.  It is all about the design process and final design of this year's medals, which looked stunning last night when they were draped on the winners.  I think it's most fascinating that the original design included a self-enclosed pendant for the winner to remove from the actual medal and wear as jewelry.  Bummer the money ran out for that one—it was a novel idea.  Here's my idea: maybe Academy Award winners should receive a little gold stomach-shaped pendant inside of the statuette, so they could remove the jewelry and wear it anytime to show off the guts it takes to get the award-winning glory....

Check out the Metropolis article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment