Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Self-publishing plus me

You cannot imagine how many times, in the decade plus that I have been a designer, people have asked me about publishing their book. Maybe that's all some people think designers create. My friend who is an author tells me that almost everyone she comes in contact with tells her about the "book" they've been working on or are going to write and then they continue to ask about publishers, assuming it's just like looking in the yellow pages to find one. Ha. Not that easy. Of course we all wish it were just a phone call away to get our glossy-covered novels right there on the shelf at Barnes & Noble--but not so.
I am currently working on a project with a client who has prepared an academic research document and has been trying to decide on how best to disseminate the findings and generate some revenue at the same time, sans publisher.
Thanks to them, I am now engrossed in the service that is Blurb.com. This is amazing stuff! With either some graphic design templates or a creative like myself you can create amazing books, like coffee-table photo books and novels and more. Blurb.com takes it a step further and allows you to print beautifully bound, full color books from one to infinity. They even let you share, market and sell them right from their site so you can send it out to the masses and let them order and get their own copies shipped right to them. It's on-demand printing at it's finest quality, one glossy dust jacket at a time.
Now, when you come to me with your requests for book design and printing I have a great solution. It's by far the best one I've seen to get retail-quality book printing one at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment