Tuesday, September 22, 2009

An old favorite

It's amazing there are so many things out on the internet that were created and designed LONG before a computer was even a thought in someone's brain.
I have found another one of these gems that I want to pass along to you--in my apparent life obsession of vintage design and illustration. After taking a fun, very long train trip this year with my son, I have definitely had the rails on the brain. It was such a fun break from reality in so many ways. From the hymn-singing Amish families to the dining car at sundown while we crossed the Mississippi River, it was such a part from the norm of our lives, including the relaxed, slow pace of travel by train.
Last week, when investigating some map sources, I came across this incredible site of cartographic and railroad genius. Being a mapmaker and print designer in the 1800s had to be such a cool job. If I could travel back in time, that just might be what I would choose to try. Grab the DeLorean circa 1985... let's go.
The David Rumsey Map Collection has an amazing selection of historic maps and printed collateral. There are so many beautiful digital images to view here I hardly know where to begin. Make sure you take a couple minutes to browse this fabulous site--it is well worth it and the Luna Browser they have on their site shows such high resolution detail and makes it easy to get up close to these spectactular works of art and design.
I especially love the Birdseye View of the Great Plains by Union Pacific Railroad Co. from 1890, but everything on here is terrific. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment